Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Movies

I've been watching a lot of movies lately. I can't seem to get the kids to watch them with me. I guess I don't pick the kind of movies they are really interested in. Then I get a bit irritated with them (and Rick) because they are very into MST'ing them and sometimes I just wanna watch a movie and not listen to smart-aleck comments all the time!

Keys to the Kingdom: This is a movie starring my favorite, Gregory Peck. He plays a Scottish priest who is a missionary in China. I've been wanting to watch this movie for a long time. Ever since I heard a priest years ago say that this book (he read the book and saw the movie too) inspired him to want to become a priest. Also, it was one of the few Gregory Peck movies I hadn't ever seen. Well, it was a good old-fashioned movie about a saintly priest and his struggles. Peck was wonderful. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Monsieur Vincent: I started watching this French movie a few weeks ago and only got part way into it, before I got interrupted. So I tried again this past Saturday. Wow, a really powerful movie about St. Vincent de Paul who apparently was the Mother Teresa of France in the late 1600's. Very well filmed, moving, deep, well acted, etc. It really made me think about how little I do for the poor and how we really are supposed to be Christlike, no matter what the expense is to ourselves. Only by dying to ourselves can we really live in love. Made me want to go to confession! But so far I haven't made it.

I know I watched more movies than that, but they were fluffier and I can't remember now which ones they were! And I'm out of time.

2 comments:

Suburban Correspondent said...

MST'ing? What's that?

Faith said...

Mystery Science Theater. It's this show where they have a guy and couple of space aliens watching really, really bad old science fiction or just plain stupid B movies. The funny thing is they keep up a running commentary on movie that is usually hysterical.