Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Weekly Report 11/7 - 11/11/09

  • We are definitely winding down schoolish stuff to get holiday stuff done
Unschoolish:
  • B is trying to read Calvin and Hobbes cartoons at night. She was struggling with a word that had the ea vowel combination. I explained how ea can be long e, short or long A. Then the next day she got a kids meal at Chick fil a and it was about spelling bees and one of the words misspelled was treachery so we actually reviewed that spelling rule the next day. Then the next day she read the world 'clean' by herself. She has been trying to read Go Dog Go every night as well until she can read it perfectly, she informed me!
  • Since B and S are interested in spelling I really should remember to netflix Akeelah and the Spelling Bee. I've heard such good things about that movie.
  • S read There's a Boy in the Girl's bathroom by Louis Sachar - this is the first chapter book that doesn't have a picture on every other page, as S puts it. He is very proud of himself!
  • J read two books, Hittite Warrior and Abarat
  • B wanted to learned more capitals of states. For some reason I don't understand she knew the capitals of ND and SD but didn't know our own state capital. So we got a printout off the internet and looked through all the capitals. We also talked about capitals of countries. S and B knew London and Paris and Rome. We also learned the capitals of Mexico and Canada. Then S wanted to know what the smallest country in the world was. Vatican City of course. We looked up a map of it on the web and then read all about the other small countries.
  • Read in Down in the Bonny Glen about how they made dye from graith which is urine. Eek.
  • B has been listening to the Prince and Pauper by Jim Weiss
  • S discovered some new program on the Mac where you can draw pictures, type up captions and then record yourself reading the caption. S and B have been having a blast with that.
  • Hardly did any math at all. B and I did a fun magic math trick we got from clickschooling. We showed it to J and he figured out the trick. B is rehearsing to show Daddy. B has been asking me questions about multiples of 12, I think because she noticed that cookies and baked goods and eggs are sold by the dozen.
  • Read some of the early Latin readers to B and S. And we learned the first verse and refrain for Veni, Veni Emanuel
  • B and S watched lots of Wordgirl and Fetch as well the Phineas and Ferb Christmas special which is the funniest and most clever Christmas special I have seen in ages!
  • J got his scoliosis brace and is learning how to sleep in it! This is a major lesson in life!!!!! He is Mr grouchy-pants as a result. I'm steering clear of him as much as possible!
  • J and W went to CLC
  • W finished up his impromptu study of the Book of Wisdom with his friend on Monday night
  • W has been working out at the gym every night. I admire and envy his drive!!!!
Schoolish:
  • Not much to report here. Did our Latin homework. W and J went to Latin class. I stayed home because the van was on fritz and we couldn't all fit into W's car.
  • Read some more Freedom Train and Archimedes to B and S.
  • Went to music lessons on Monday
  • B went to gymnastics on Tuesday
  • Started the unit study on Exploring the Mass then went to Mass on the Feast of the Immaculate Conception.
  • J did a lesson in Alg II and then took a test; haven't graded either yet! I've not been forcing him to work because he's sleep deprived due to the scoliosis brace
  • Finished the Iliad! Yoohoo!
  • Watched two more lectures in Archeology - so interesting!
  • Socratic Discussion on Friday - I told the other moms I just don't like doing Socratic discussion with the 3rd through 5th graders. For one thing I think it is developmentally inappropriate. I think kids begin to question soon enough as they grow older. It is a natural process and I feel like this Socratic discussion is forcing them to give up some of their innocence by leaving open ended questions deliberately that really in essence have to do with understanding right and wrong. Also, the Touchstone program is set up for a classroom and we never have enough material to quite fill our hour. And finally I actually find the program rather shallow. So instead, next year I am going to do art with the elementary group based on the Christian Heritage Art Program I got from CHC three yeasrs ago and have never found an opportunity to use!
Tonight is the first night of Chanukah! We've got latkes and chocolate gelt. The kids decided that we'll play for almonds when we play dreidel tonight. I just bought a big bag of roasted almonds. They wanted Reeses pieces but I nixed that idea! Tomorrow afternoon is the extended family Chanukah and then Sat night S is having two friends spend the night for an early birthday celebration. He's order tacos for dinner and butter pound cake for his birthday cake. And he does want to watch Akeelah and the Bee as the traditional stay-up-late-and-watch a -movie activity for his sleepover.

3 comments:

Our Westmoreland School said...

Incredible :)

I don't know anyone, personally, who unschools, and I find it amazing the amount your children are learning in their unschooling time. That really knocks my socks off, I had no idea it could be so productive!

Thank you so much sharing!

Daisy said...

Happy Chanukah!!

I love all the books you read. My son loves Charlie Brown comics and was just introduced to Calvin & Hobbes this past weekend. It was love at first read. ;-)

Suburban Correspondent said...

We played for Skittles.

Calvin and Hobbes has the most excellent vocabulary of any comic strip.

I'm missing you! Is Hannah home yet?