Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Book Meme

I got this meme from Alicia's blog. Thanks Alicia! I haven't done one of these in forever either!

1. What author do you own the most books by? I"m not sure. It might be Jane Austen (I have at least two editions of each of her novels or C.S. Lewis or G. K. Chesterton or it might be (and now that I think of it, probably is!) Georgette Heyer!

2. What book do you own the most copies of? Does this include my kids' Bibles? I think I have 3 and then the three oldest each have their own, plus we have several children's versions.

3. Did it bother you that both those questions ended with prepositions? I didn't even notice!

4. What fictional character are you secretly in love with? Fitzwilliam Darcy! Not really so secretly!

5. What book have you read the most times in your life? Pride and Prejudice as an adult, but the Little House books as a child. I also read Mrs. Mike many, many times as well as A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and To Kill a Mockingbird many times.

6. Favorite book as a ten year old? Probably the Little House books.

7. What is the worst book you’ve read in the past year? I haven't read any bad books this year!

8. What is the best book you’ve read in the past year? The Great Gatsby

9. If you could force everyone you know to read one book, what would it be? To Kill a Mockingbird. That book is life-changing!

10. What book would you most like to see made into a movie? I'd like a Georgette Heyer novel to be made into a decent movie. I think Faro's Daughter would be my choice. I'd like Clive Owen to play Max Ravenscar and I could play Deb Grantham so I could hear him say "I love you! I tell you, I love you!" Whew! Wouldn't that be fun!

11. What is the most difficult book you’ve ever read? I am ashamed to admit it, but I usually don't finish reading books that I find too difficult. The question would be better put, What is the most difficult book you've attempted recently? I think it might be Climbing Parnassus. I just couldn't get through it.

12. What is your favorite book? Usually I answer Pride and Prejudice for this. I guess I'll do so again!

13. What is your favorite play? I'm going to limit this question by answering from the plays I've read this year, which would include Merchant of Venice, Raisin in the Sun and The Crucible. I'll have to go with the Crucible which I found terribly disturbing and moving.

14. Poem? The Lake Isle at Innisfree by W.B. Yeats (I edited this; I mistakenly put T.S. Eliot at first!).

15. Essay? Probably something by Chesterton. Perhaps the one with the comment about poets being strangely silent on the subject of cheese. Did that come from an essay?

16. Who is the most overrated writer alive today? Dan Brown. But I also agree with whoever it was who said Gregory MaGuire. Both dreadful!

17. What is your desert island book? Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Francis de Sales

18. And . . . what are you reading right now? Right now I'm reading The Heroes of the City of Man by Peter Leithart, Heroes by Charles Kingsley as my own reading. I've kind of slowed down my reading pace lately so I've been working on these two for a while now. To the kids I'm reading Tales of the Ancient Egyptians by Roger L. Green, Bible History by Shuster, Little House on the Prairie by Wilder.

2 comments:

love2learnmom said...

Fun! I'm glad you played along! :)

Suburban Correspondent said...

#14 - is that the one that starts "I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree..."?