I've been morphing into a new routine lately which I am liking pretty much. I'd like to refine it a bit in the fall. For now though it is good it is general as each week or even day is different. Here are some new pegs:
- Wake up between 6:30 and 7:00. Put on a load of laundry, unload the dishwasher, quick cup of tea, quick check of e-mail, dress
- I've been trying to go to Mass at 8:00 a.m. M, W and F. This has been absolutely lovely. Right now my teens have wanted to come with me once a week, usually on Fridays. When fall comes around I think I'll require everyone to come with me at least once a week. I can leave them at home usually because Rick doesn't usually leave for work until about 9.
- On T, TH and S, in theory, I am going to Curves and working out for 30 minutes. So far though I haven't made it on a Saturday.
- Come home and take a quick shower. If the kids get up while I'm gone they can get on the computer, but they have to shower beforehand. After my quick shower, I gather everything for a quick breakfast. We've been eating breakfast on the screen porch. I've been trying for simple and healthy breakfasts, bagels and cream cheese, cold cereal and juice, instant oatmeal and fruit, cheese, rolls or crackers and fruit, toast waffles and fruit, English muffins and Ovaltine. Okay they aren't all healthy but they are simple!
- For now any studies we do are not pegged to anything. I just find a block of time at some point during the day and plug in read alouds and Greek. RAs have been: Bible History everyday with narration questions after each story. American history read aloud on M, Science RA on Tuesday, Ancient History RA and notebook on W, American history again on TH and poetry on Friday.
- Also floating and not pegged, some organizational, deep cleaning task.
- Another floater, some kind of outdoors or physical activity.
- Another floater, some time spent looking through school books and planning or reading to educate myself.
- I've been better at planning balanced dinners too. We've been eating well the last couple of weeks because I've been trying harder.
- Another floater, having the kids have an independent reading time.
All these floaters are rather unsatisfactory but because it is summer we don't have a set schedule so I have to be flexible about all this stuff. And if it doesn't happen, no big whoop! LOL!
We've been doing our regular literature read alouds to Becky and Sean. I finished Little House on the Prairie and we just stared On the Banks of Plum Creek. Rick finished The Hobbit for Sean and is now reading the Moomintroll books, I think Comet in Moominland is the first book they are reading.
I should title this Routines and Pegs Part I. Next time I'll think about how to refine this for the fall.