Monday, July 7, 2008

American Literature class

Now onto something fun!

I've been planning our American Literature class. As usual no curriculum I have seen out there in homeschool land fits my criteria, so I'm going to rely heavily on Lightning Lit for the first two-thirds but pull together my own for the last 1/3.

Week 1 - Intro and Poetry of Ann Bradstreet (Major American Authors textbook)
Week 2 - The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin (Lightning Lit)
Week 3 - The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin
Week 4 - Poetry of William Cullen Bryant (LL)
Week 5 - Narrative and Life of Frederick Douglass (LL)
Week 6 - Poetry and short stories of Edgar Allan Poe (LL)
Week 7 - Transcendentalism - Emerson and Thoreau (MAA)
Week 8 - The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne (LL)
Week 9 - The Scarlet Letter
Week 10 - Poetry of Longfellow (LL)
Week 11 - Poetry of Walt Whitman (LL)
Week 12 - The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (LL)
Week 13 - Huck Finn
Week 14 - Huck Finn
Week 15 - Poetry of Emily Dickinson
Week 16 - Short Story by Jack London (LL)
Week 17 - The Country of the Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne Jewett (?)
Week 18 - My Antonia by Willa Cather (Glencoe)
Week 19 - My Antonia
Week 20 - My Antonia
Week 21 - Long Day's Journey into Night by Eugene O'Neill (internet?)
Week 22 - Bernice Bobs Her Hair by Fitzgerald (???)
Week 23 - Poetry of Robert Frost
Week 24 - Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (internet)
Week 25 - Grapes of Wrath
Week 26 - Grapes of Wrath
Week 27 - A Rose for Emily by William Faulkner
Week 28 - A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry
Week 29 - A Raisin in the Sun/Langston Hughes
Week 30 - The Crucible by Arthur Miller
Week 32 - The Crucible
Week 33 - A Good Man is Hard to Find by Flannery O'Connor

I'm not sure of my timing. I think I might need two weeks for A Long Day's Journey into Night, if I'm doing two weeks for A Raisin in the Sun or The Crucible. And I'm not sure how I'm going to teach those two plays anyway. . . .

No comments: