Saturday, January 3, 2009

Chesterton Society

Today, I and a friend attended our first meeting of the local Chesterton Society. They meet at a local restaurant on the first Saturday of the month. There were 16 attendees, including us. It was quite fun! I started reading The Man Who Was Thursday a couple days ago. It has been awhile since the last time I read any Chesterton. I think it was last spring when the teens and I read The Blue Cross in our British Lit class. The people were all lovely and full of good humor and obviously loved to discuss all ideas Chestertonian.


I came home and joined the American Chesterton Society. The local chapter often discusses articles in their magazine Gilbert! They are also slowly working their way through Common Sense 101 by Dale Alquist, which is published by Ignatius Press.

I am finding The Man Who Was Thursday very enjoyable. I had no idea what it was about but it is quite a page turner so far and, as always, seems remarkably modern. It is chock full of those funny Chesterton lines. When describing why the policeman Syme doesn't like anarchists he explains about his upbringing:

"He came from a family of cranks, in which all the oldest people had all the newest notions. One of his uncles always walked about without a hat, and another had made an unsuccessful attempt to walk about with a hat and nothing else."

(I wish I knew how to block quote on this blog!)

Anyway, Sean and Becky are getting quite rowdy and need my help getting to bed. We've been staying up so late and sleeping in so late over the holidays and now we've got to switch back to a more regular rhythm. How painful it is to get back on track!


1 comment:

Suburban Correspondent said...

Easy to block quote. In the tool bar (at the top of the text box that you type in), you will see a symbol that looks like a giant double apostrophe (or, half a set of quotation marks). Highlight the text you want blocked and then click on that symbol. Ta-da!