Friday, November 16, 2007

Friday 11/15

I can't believe I forgot to journal yesterday. Really battling headaches lately and fatigue. And insomnia which would feed into the fatigue thing. I just wish I could get my act together physically so I could feel some enthusiasm.

Anyway, yesterday, very slow morning. But we did manage to say a whole rosary at breakfast. I think I'll catalogue by child:

H - worked all day on her timeline and paper so that she could go to Steubenville this a.m. She left a little after 6 a.m. this morning. I'd love to go with her but she's going with a friend and her dad. The friend is a senior this year and wants to go to Steubenville as well. H also went to her Spanish class in the a.m. And was kind enough to fetch our traditional Thursday night pizza dinner from Jerry's! She skipped her SAT prep so she could finish her paper on St. Margaret Clitherow. She also is missing her chem class this a.m.

W - finished up his math homework and did math and chemistry with tutor. I was supposed to follow up and make sure he completed his homework but dropped the ball on that. Played lots of guitar and videogames. In the evening I was in a despairing mood and sent him to bed early so he could read some. This backfired because he stayed up until 2 a.m. reading Uncle Tungsten which I gave him a couple weeks ago and he's been reading off and on. So when I got up early to take him to 6:15 a.m. mass he couldn't wake up. Today I have to take him to chem since H is gone. Also he needs to work on his Latin, hasn't done that at all this week. This evening he is going away for the weekend as well, on a retreat with his CLC group.

J - Did math with tutor, practiced piano, read next chap. in FMMA and did corresponding workbook pages. His friend M came over in the afternoon and they played outside and on the Wii. In the evening watched some tv and then started reading Robin Hood. I don't think he worked on his novel.

S - composed a new song. He writes incredible music. He needs to learn to write it down. I'm looking for a kid friendly software program to give him for his birthday. Even though his neck was fine yesterday for gymnastics, it suddenly spasmed again so he spent much of the morning sitting on the couch with a heating pad. I read the story of Jacob and Esau's reconciliation out loud. I also read the next OM fairy tale to both S and B. They watched Arthur. S played lots of piano. We went to Little Flowers of Mary and Blue Knights. S practiced for the St. Francis play and played some outside. Came home and played Sam and Pete (????) new computer game that W got that everybody seems to love. He also played with M some. At bedtime he took The Beginner's Bible up to bed and spent at least an hour reading it!!!!! That was lovely!

B - was terrible behaviorally. Acting out, temper tantrums, talking back. Ugh. She did read a little to me from a Primary Phonics reader but not much before I helped her in the wrong way and she lost her temper at me. She mostly did what S did - learning-wise.

H, W and I came up with strategy for dealing with her bad behavior. No yelling at her (we'd all started doing that). We are going to remember to praise her whenever we catch her doing something good, also to give her attention when she needs it and lots of affection. When she acts up we are going to matter of factly give her one warning and if that doesn't work, she's immediately put into her room for 6 minutes time out. If she kicks the door, screams in rage or whatever, she gets an extra 2 minutes. H and W have been deputized to dispense discipline when I'm not around (or R). We are keeping a timer up in her room to ensure the 6 minute thing.

I fell asleep on the couch right after dinner.

Anyway today's plans are: Rosary, breakfast, put away laundry, library, Barnes and Noble so we can buy a gift card for another friend of J. Then I am to drop J off at ice rink for skating party at 11:00 a.m. Ioana is going to take care of him from there. I have to get tested at 1:00 p.m. so W will be watching B and S all afternoon. B has a playdate with neighbor at 3:00 p.m. Then W has to pack for his retreat and I have to get him an early supper and to chuch by 6:00 pm.

Our Waldorf group is doing their Martinmas lantern walk tonight at 6:15 but a) we never finished making our lanterns and b)I know I'll conk out right about then anyway. Seems to be my new pattern.

No comments: